Making a Profit

By Julian Campbell

flying money Well here we are at the end of another financial year and too many businesses experienced a difficult year. Turnovers have been down and profits non-existent. So now for the good news - it's easy to increase your profits! But the bad news is it's just as easy not to. What is the real secret? Well, if you keep doing the same things the way you have always done them, you will get the results you have always had. But to increase your profits, it follows that you must take some different, positive actions.

Unfortunately, for the past few years, since the more challenging times have prevailed, we have seen price-cutting becoming common practice. It is apparent in most industries and types of business and has now become a habit for many. This constantly amazes me since the old adage in the business world is Never cut your prices. Once a price cutting war begins, the result will be disastrous for everyone. Even the customer looses in the end as reliable businesses close. So why is it happening and what are the alternatives?

The common response I hear is "it's the only way I can keep my customers" and yet statistics still show us that only about 9% of our customers will shop on price. So what are the other 91% looking for?

Let's go back to the basics of business, which are often so easy to overlook when you are living a hectic, busy business life. There is really only one way to make money in business; bring in more money than you spend. Sounds obvious but why doesn't it happen? Let's examine the four areas that could improve your net profit - reduction of your variable costs or expenses, put your prices up, find more customers, or encourage your existing customers to spend more or buy more frequently.

The first is obviously the best way to increase your profit because any reduction in expenses goes straight to the bottom line. Increasing your prices is probably the least favourable, unless you are already grossly undercharging compared to your competition.

The areas too often neglected are the options, finding more customers and encouraging them to spend more or buy more frequently. I can see you thinking, "this is going to cost me more money, not make me money", but that is not the case.

The secret is in making your existing advertising, promotion and customer service work better for you. When you advertise are you really telling your customers what's in it for them, building such a desire in them that they must come and buy, or do you just put your business name in the headlines like so many do?

Do you and your staff make your customers feel so special that they want to come back again and again? Do you encourage them to spend more by really understanding their needs and satisfying them?

It requires a bit of effort, a bit of practice, a bit of dedication to your customer and a system for making it happen but think of the results! Those increased profits can be easy so, have a great new financial year.

Copyright © Julian Campbell 2007

To read more of Julian's articles, return to the Articles Index

Catalyst for Growth Training solutions

Do your team members need to enhance their skills, knowledge and understanding to perform to the best of their ability, and become even more effective?

At Catalyst for Growth we have developed a series of Leadership Training programs for business professionals, managers, supervisors, business owners and team leaders which give your team members the skills, qualities and capabilities to become successful outstanding leaders and produce immediate results for your business.

go to training solutions

Are you caught up with daily pressures that you can't seem to find the solutions you so desperately seek. Competition is taking your customers and you are working long, hard and tirelessly for little or no return?

Or do you have a challenging team member that just wont cooperate no matter what you do? Or you know what could be done but you just don't have the time to juggle all those things.

We can help you to overcome all these challenges.

go to leadership coaching
find out more about cashbook catalyst

Cashbook Catalyst is the simple and complete way to keep absolute control of your business finances.

To make it easy we have included many formulas in the spread sheets. All you need to do is add your your invoice figures regularly. Cashbook Catalyst GST will will automatically generate for you:

  • your cash flow
  • profit and loss statement
  • BAS information
  • depreciation
  • breakeven analysis
go to cashbook catalyst

top of page